History Podcasts

History of Sea Gate - History

History of Sea Gate - History

Sea Gate

(Id. No. 2415: dp. 400; 1. 130'; b. 27'2"; dr. 6'9", s.
13 k.)

Sea Gate, a Hudson River steamer, was launched by T.S. Marvel, Newburgh, New York, in 1907, taken over by the Navy from her owner, F. V. Drake of Yonkers, N. Y., on 9 October 1918; and fitted with racks for stretchers for service as an ambulance boat.

Sea Gate served as an ambulance boat in the New York City area until returned to her owners on 14 May 1919. She remained in merchant service until 1938.


Southeast Asian Games

The Southeast Asian Games, also known as the SEA Games (SEAG), is a biennial multi-sport event involving participants from the current 11 countries of Southeast Asia. The games are under the regulation of the Southeast Asian Games Federation with supervision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).

The Southeast Asian Games is one of the five subregional Games of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA). The others are the Central Asian Games, the East Asian Youth Games, the South Asian Games, and the West Asian Games. [1]


Seagate, North Carolina

Seagate was a census-designated place (CDP) in New Hanover County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 4,590 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Wilmington Metropolitan Statistical Area.

According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 4.1 square miles (11 km 2 ). 3.5 square miles (9.1 km 2 ) of it is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km 2 ) of it (13.84%) is water.

As of the census [1] of 2000, there were 4,590 people, 1,851 households, and 1,269 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,293.1 people per square mile (499.2/km 2 ). There were 2,041 housing units at an average density of 575.0 per square mile (222.0/km 2 ). The racial makeup of the CDP was 92.09% White, 4.44% African American, 0.26% Native American, 0.68% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.26% from other races, and 1.22% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.29% of the population.

There were 1,851 households, out of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.5% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.4% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.91.

In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 23.7% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 26.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.7 males.

The median income for a household in the CDP was $50,548, and the median income for a family was $62,724. Males had a median income of $40,443 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $29,567. About 8.7% of families and 11.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 16.6% of those under age 18 and 11.7% of those age 65 or over.


Системы хранения с гипермасштабируемой архитектурой становятся доступнее

В большинстве компаний и центров обработки данных не хватает систем хранения большой емкости, без которых не обойтись в современных условиях информационной экономики. Кульминацией более чем 40-летней работы компании Seagate в области систем хранения стало создание комплекса технологий, которые позволяют предприятиям строить экономичные и эффективные среды с гипермасштабируемой архитектурой на основе инновационного программного обеспечения и аппаратного оборудования, систем и устройств. Внедряйте эти передовые технологии сразу по мере выхода, чтобы обеспечить своему бизнесу конкурентное преимущество.

Лучшая в отрасли цена за терабайт, непревзойденная емкость жестких дисков и технология термомагнитной записи (Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording &mdash HAMR) &mdash все это доступно уже сейчас, а в перспективе емкость увеличится с 18 до 50 ТБ.

Технология параллельной работы с двойным приводом MACH.2 &trade в два раза повышает производительность жестких дисков, что позволяет соблюдать соглашения об уровне обслуживания без ущерба для емкости.

CORTX &mdash это ПО для объектных хранилищ с полностью открытым исходным кодом, которое обеспечивает надежность, большую емкость, архитектурную эффективность и расширение до эксабайтных масштабов.

Альтернатива привычным RAID-массивам &mdash защитное ПО для хранилищ большой емкости, ускоряющее восстановление дисков на 95% без ущерба для вместительности.


History of Sea Gate - History

MarketBeat All Access subscribers can access stock screeners, the Idea Engine, data export tools, research reports, and other premium tools.

Market Data and Calendars

Looking for new stock ideas? Want to see which stocks are moving? View our full suite of financial calendars and market data tables, all for free.

Investing Education and Resources

Receive a free world-class investing education from MarketBeat. Learn about financial terms, types of investments, trading strategies and more.

MarketBeat empowers individual investors to make better trading decisions by providing real-time financial data and objective market analysis. Whether you’re looking for analyst ratings, corporate buybacks, dividends, earnings, economic reports, financials, insider trades, IPOs, SEC filings or stock splits, MarketBeat has the objective information you need to analyze any stock. Learn more about MarketBeat.

© American Consumer News, LLC dba MarketBeat® 2010-2021. All rights reserved.
326 E 8th St #105, Sioux Falls, SD 57103 | U.S. Based Support Team at [email protected] | (844) 978-6257
MarketBeat does not provide personalized financial advice and does not issue recommendations or offers to buy stock or sell any security.

© 2021 Market data provided is at least 10-minutes delayed and hosted by Barchart Solutions. Information is provided 'as-is' and solely for informational purposes, not for trading purposes or advice, and is delayed. To see all exchange delays and terms of use please see disclaimer. Fundamental company data provided by Zacks Investment Research.


SeaGate Convention Centre

SeaGate Convention Centre is a performing arts and convention center located in downtown Toledo, Ohio. Opened on March 27, 1987, the Centre's exhibit hall measures 74,520 square feet (207 feet by 360 feet) of space and seats up to 5,100 for a banquet, 9,000 for a meeting, and 4,000 in a classroom configuration. It can be divided into three smaller halls, and, when used for concerts with a 60 foot by 40 foot stage, can seat 2,000 (in one of the smaller halls), 3,000 (in two of the smaller halls) or 5,900 (in the entire hall) for concerts, stage shows, and other shows, this so that there are no bad seats in the house. Many of those seats used for concerts are in telescopic risers there are 18 telescopic units at the arena, set up in sections of six as a result, there are six sections of riser seating and a total of 3,216 in the risers (536 per section).

SeaGate Convention Centre also features 17,552 square feet (1,631 m 2 ) of meeting space.

The facility was host for the following notable events:

Jehovah's Witnesses Also was annually used for Jehovah's witnesses conventions from 2005-2012

The Park Inn by Radisson hotel attached to the Centre closed permanently in April 2020.


Seagate, The Crosley Estate

Just north of the Sarasota County line on the North Trail, hidden down a long driveway to the bay, is a mansion designed in the Mediterranean style known as Seagate. Seagate (or the Crosley Mansion) is one of the several notable mansions (Ca'd'Zan, Edson Keith House, Charles Ringling Estate) that were built during what was called the Gulf Coast Golden Age. The photograph above is of the bayfront side and gives an example of the grandeur of the estate. Built by Cincinnati industrialist Powell Crosley Jr. in 1929, the 11,000-square-foot mansion has 21 rooms and seven full bathrooms. Sarasota building contractor Paul W. Bergman completed construction in 135 days at a cost of $350,000.

Along with the construction of the mansion, Powell Crosley built a seawall and a yacht basin that extended nearly 600 feet along the bay and included a mooring area for his seaplane and a 25-foot-by-35-foot terrazzo swimming pool fed by an artesian well. Powell Crosley Jr, and his wife, Gwendolyn, lived at Seagate during the winter seasons from 1929 to 1939. After her death in 1939, the Crosley family occasionally used the mansion.

Powell Crosley was a promoter, businessman and industrialist who had the knack of transforming ideas into reality. Between 1900 and 1940, in the field of radio, Crosley generated the first automobile radio, the first push-button radio and the world's most powerful radio station. Other items included one of the first mail-order specialty companies, the first portable freezer, the patent for shelves in the doors of refrigerators and freezers, the first lights on a major league baseball field and the first mass-produced small economy car.

During World War II, an officers' club occupied the mansion. After the war, in 1947, the D. & D. Corporation purchased the residence from Powell Crosley Jr. In 1948, Freeman H. Horton purchased Seagate and its contents from the D. & D. Corporation. Freeman Horton was a prominent civil engineer, having designed several notable structures in the region such as the original Sunshine Skyway Bridge, the Sarasota/Bradenton Airport, the Tampa Bayshore Seawall and the Sebring Airbase. The Horton family occupied Seagate from 1948 to 1977. Between 1977 and 1982, the Horton family leased the Estate, and it remained in family ownership until 1982.


History of Sea Gate - History


SeaGate Yacht Club History

The SeaGate Yacht Club was conceived and formed at Avalon, Santa Catalina Island, on Saturday, October 30, 1976. Charter members were Sandy and Dewey Rudolph, Yvonne and Pat Kelley, Rusty and Chuck Strigl, Elsie and John Kohler, and Olive and Gordon Bishop. The purpose of the Club was friendship and boating opportunities.

By February 1977, four meetings had taken place and the Club had grown to 50 members. Membership was made open to anyone who resided in SeaGate. A letter to the property owners' board resulted in approval of the SeaGate Yacht Club. From that time on, meetings have been held in the SeaGate Clubhouse.

The Club is open to both residents and non-residents of SeaGate. Non-resident membership is limited to 40% of the resident membership, according to the current bylaws.

The Club is now in its 43rd year. Newsletters and web pages over these past years reflect many enjoyable social events and exciting boating adventures. The social calendar has grown to provide activities in each month of the year. Board meetings are held monthly, and a general membership meeting is held in October of each year.

The web site was initiated by Gene Busby during his term of office. The URL for the web site is www.seagateyachtclub.com. Any suggestions or ideas for the web site should be addressed to the current Webmaster. The position of Webmaster was made a board position by Commodore Jim Woods.

Membership in the Southern California Yachting Association (SCYA) was initiated by Tom McKnew prior to his term as Commodore. Interim status in the Southern California Yachting Association occurred during Tom's term.

At the end of Jim Wood's 2003 term as Commodore, membership stood at 120 families. During this year a By-Laws Committee was formed to review and update our by-laws. Very few changes were made attesting to the forward thinking of our founding fathers. SGYC membership in the SCYA was moved from interim to permanent associate status by vote of the SCYA membership.

In 2011 all of the club house events were well attended and membership reached 150 with 269 individual members headed by Commodore Les Kelly. There were numerous fun events, but the two that stand out were the 35th Anniversary Party and Opening Day which were attended by our co-founding Commodore, Dewey Rudolph and First Mate Sandy, and record numbers of members! The year ended with a huge rush when SeaGate YC won Sweepstakes in the annual Huntington Harbour Boat Parade for only the second time in its history. The design was based on the creative efforts of Sandy Atherton and Bob McCormick, the float was constructed by many SGYC members and hosted on Robin and Jean Clark’s boat the Fin-Tastic!

In 2014 our membership reached 163 with total individual members of 298 under the term of Commodore Josef Davydovits. Opening Day reached a new high for the club as the attendance was augmented by dignitaries being part of the ceremony such as the Mayor of Huntington Beach (Matthew Harper), Coast Guard Auxiliary Commander, uniformed Fireman and a ceremonial Color Guard. SGYC sponsored and organized the first charity boat parade with sister club, American Legion YC for the Orange County Downs Syndrome Association children. In 2014 we also added another convenience for our membership by having the option to pay the events with PayPal. Staff Commodores Josef Davydovits and Ray Nagele were instrumental in adding this feature for the club.


The Shore Blog

The history of Sea Isle City is interesting. For over 2000 years the Leni-Lenape Indians lived in the area that would later become New Jersey. They came to the coast to fish and gather quahog shells from the beach. They made beads from the shells called “wampum” which was used as currency.

In the 17th century, the Dutch and Swedes established the first European settlements on the east coast, which ultimately fell under English rule. King Charles II granted the land between New England and Maryland as a proprietary colony to his brother, the Duke of York. Through a series of grants and purchases, the land was divided and came under ownership of a group of Quakers called the West Jersey Proprietors – one of whom was William Penn, considered the founder of Pennsylvania.

Joseph Ludlam bought the land from the Quaker group in 1692 and named the island after himself. He then divided it into three sections and sold the southern section to John Townsend who named it Townsend’s Inlet.

Ludlam used the island to stock cattle and sheep. Mainlanders would visit the island to hunt, fish and engage in other recreational activities, but no permanent settlements would be established on the island for nearly two centuries. It is believed that pirates would stop at the island while sailing up the Jersey coast during this time, as evidenced by the type of pistols found during those early years.

Charles Kline Landis purchased Ludlam Island in 1880 with the intention of creating a beautiful seaside resort. Inspired by a trip to Venice, Landis sought to recreate a similar community. He renamed the Island “Sea Isle City” and had waterways and canals dug to create Venice-like waterways that still exist today on the Intercoastal Waterway. Ludlam effectively marketed the island as both a place to come for a visit and a place in which to live.

A bustling fishing industry developed and shacks were built to house fishermen overnight. Before long, they began bringing their families and staying more permanently on the island. Other full-time residents joined them and soon churches, restaurants and stores were established. In 1882, Sea Isle City was incorporated as a borough and in 1907 officially became a City. By the late 1880s, hundreds of people resided in Sea Isle full time.

By 1882, the first rail lines had been constructed to connect the island to the mainland. The West Jersey and Seashore Railroad entered Sea Isle and in 1884 was extended to Corson’s Inlet and Ocean City. In 1893, the Reading Railroad ran into Corson’s Inlet where Twistie’s now exists, but this line was abandoned in 1925. The two railroads merged all their South Jersey operations in 1933, after which the West Jersey and Seashore Railroad closed its operations into Sea Isle. Visitors to Ludlam Island thereafter took the Reading line from Ocean City into Strathmere until all train operations to Sea Isle and Strathmere ceased in 1942.

Many families flocked to the beach in the summertime, especially on Sundays. They would often bring their lunches in shoe boxes, which gave rise to the term “Shoobies”. It originated as a derogatory term for two reasons: first, the shoe box-toting visitors brought their lunches so that they wouldn’t have to buy food, thereby depriving local establishment owners of revenue. Second, these inland visitors were not always accustomed to the environment, including the dangers of the ocean, beach etiquette and other local customs so they were looked down upon by residents. Today, the term “Shoobie” is still used to describe someone who visits (but doesn’t live in) the coastal towns of South Jersey.

To provide a central place for activities for both visitors and residents, the Excursion House was built in 1882. It housed a restaurant, stores, a skating rink and a public second floor terrace. It remained the main hub of activity for the newly forming town until it was destroyed in the storm of 1962.

In 1887, a trolley system referred to as “horse cars” began operating along Pleasure Railroad and ran from Sea Isle to Townsends Inlet. As the name suggests, these cars were led by horses that would transport people between the train station and the island’s hotels. This route was later extended to Corson’s Inlet, allowing riders to go from the northern end of Ludlam Island to the south end.

A second trolley service, this one led by mules, was added along the route that is now Landis Avenue. While neither of these transport systems were traditional trolleys as we know them today, in 1904 an electric trolley replaced the animal-operated system along Landis Avenue.

In 1917 the trolley system was decommissioned, due to the growing popularity of motor cars and the decline in popularity and upkeep of the trolley system, thus ending an era. In 2010, during repaving of Landis Avenue, workers unearthed part of the trolley tracks that once existed. Today, a new Jitney service operates along Landis Avenue, providing riders with a safe way to visit bars and restaurants in Sea Isle, Townsends Inlet and Strathmere.

The oldest building in Sea Isle City that remains from this era is The Colonnade Inn, a Victorian building with a huge wrap-around porch located on the corner of 46th Street and Landis Avenue. Built in 1883 and restored in 2004, the Colonnade still operates as a hotel with privately owned rooms and apartments available for rent on a daily or weekly basis.

Also remaining is the Braca Building. Built in the early 1900s and serving as a theatre back then, the building now houses James Candy, a popular place to purchase sweet seashore souvenirs after a trip to Sea Isle.

By the end of the century, electricity lit the streets and buildings and there were over 30 hotels, railways, a school and two churches. Sea Isle had grown to both a place to live and a vacation destination.

In the mid-1930s, when automobiles became more prolific, rail service to the island went by the wayside. Having a car meant that visitors could travel to more remote areas of the island, and they were not geographically limited to the area around the train station. As a result, hotels once popular because of their proximity to the trains became less popular in favor of smaller, more remote cottages and boarding houses that were being built throughout the island.

Due to a steel shortage during the Second World War, Sea Isle City tore up the railroad that remained in the area so that it could be used as scrap metal. As a result, the path where the railroad used to run through town became a popular path for people to take walks and ride their bikes. This pathway would later become Pleasure Ave.

Sea Isle was once home to a wooden boardwalk that was built and destroyed by storms several times. In 1962 a nor’easter storm ravaged the town, destroying buildings and bringing the old wooden boardwalk to a final end. Once lined on both sides with shops, restaurants, arcades, hotels, a dance hall, a bath house and a theater, Sea Isle’s boardwalk was a bustling recreational and social meeting place. After it was destroyed, a paved pathway was built in its place. The Promenade, as it is now called, runs 1.5 miles from 29th Street to 57th Street. Construction of buildings was limited to the west side of the Promenade to allow for the creation of a dune line on the eastern side, in hopes that the town would be spared from future storms coming ashore.

The Promenade once featured a block-wide amusement park at 32nd Street called Fun City. It offered rides and carnival games until it closed in 2000 when the land was sold for the development of homes. A movement to expand the Promenade to the entire length of the island to reduce pedestrian and cyclist traffic on the streets was defeated in 2016 by the concern of residents and the environmental impact it would have on the dunes.

In the 20th century, Sea Isle City continued to flourish as a residential and resort town. However, between 2000 and 2010, the population of Sea Isle’s full time year-round residents dropped, as it did in other coastal towns in South Jersey. Economics and the climate are two reasons cited for this decline in the permanent population.

The sharp rise in property values along the shore in recent years now prohibits many families from buying property here because they simply can’t afford it. Instead, people who can afford to buy second homes are purchasing properties but not living here full-time themselves. It is not uncommon for second home-owners to purchase an older home in Sea Isle and have it demolished so that it can be replaced with a larger, taller more contemporary home. This also then creates a decline in school-aged populations, and as a result many small school districts such as Sea Isle’s have closed. School children are now bussed to Ocean City’s schools or attend private schools elsewhere. Climate change has given rise to super storms such as Sandy and Jonas, which both destroyed many homes and businesses along the Jersey coast. Rising insurance rates also cause an economic impact to people who wish to live or open a business here.
Sea Isle, like other coastal South Jersey towns, will continue to change, grow and develop in one way or another, as it has throughout history. Despite the many changes this little town has seen, including the impact of several devastating storms, Sea Isle City continues to thrive as the city that won’t quit.

Do you, or does your family or business, have a history in Sea Isle City? We’re interested in hearing from people whose families were original or early settlers, or who own or owned a business, or who have other historical information to share such as living or working here in past summers, meeting your significant others, getting engaged or married here or any other human interest story. If so, and if you would like to share your story, please contact us by clicking here. The information you provide us is through this link is confidential and we will contact you to gain more information, as well as your full permission, before we disclose any information you provide. Thank you, and please don’t hesitate to contact us! (Note: for your privacy, do not include your information in the Leave A Reply box below unless you wish others to see your information).

Note: The information contained within this historical account has been gleaned from various resources. If you notice any inaccuracies, please do not hesitate to reach out to us so that we may correct the information.

For more information about Sea Isle City, please follow the links below:


A Harbor Full of History and Sea Lore on Cape Cod

HYANNIS, midway up the southern shore of Cape Cod, is often regarded as the departure point for ferries to Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard, or as a way station to seaside hamlets farther up the cape. But its lively harbor, Kennedy mystique and quirky family tours make Hyannis an enjoyable, accessible day trip in its own right, especially with kids in tow.

Settled in 1639 by English farmers turned fishermen, Hyannis is, figuratively and literally, defined by the sea. The salty air beckons. A loud, prolonged horn announces the ferry. Boisterous families queue up to board a charter boat for an afternoon of deep-sea fishing, while well-tailored couples mosey around artists’ sheds at the harbor.

The salty aroma also lures people into the Cape Cod Potato Chips factory.

“I liked seeing the chips come out of the machines,” said Lindsay Thornton, 7, who was visiting this summer from the Albany area with her parents, Kathy and Daniel. Lindsay’s face was pressed into the windows offering a glimpse into a day in the life of a potato chip. “Any time there are potato chips in her life, it’s just a plus,” Ms. Thornton said.

On the self-guided tour, which lasts about 20 minutes, visitors watch from a long corridor as potatoes are washed, scrubbed, sliced and plunged into stainless-steel kettles filled with canola oil for seven minutes of cooking that leaves them crispy and golden. A stainless-steel device that looks like a cotton candy machine with a clear dome spins off excess oil, and the chips are salted, seasoned and packed for shipping. (Potato peels and rejected chips are sent off to be used as animal feed.)

“I was surprised by how many potatoes are used to make a bag of potato chips,” Mrs. Thornton said.

After the tour, every visitor gets a small bag of chips. But Lindsay’s parents splurged on a shovel-and-pail set filled with chips for her.

While the Cape Cod chips have their following, it is the Kennedy family that put this seaside village on the world radar. The halcyon days for Hyannis might have been the early 1960’s when President John F. Kennedy set up a summer White House, but the Kennedy aura still permeates the town. Various Kennedys, including Senator Edward M. Kennedy, have homes in Hyannisport, an enclave of houses adjacent to Hyannis and overlooking Hyannis Harbor. What is known as the Kennedy compound is actually a cluster of three private clapboard houses, two of them owned by Senator Kennedy and the other by Ethel Kennedy. “They mingle in town,” said Joanne Wiseman, the manager of the John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum. She confirmed that the senator visited the museum not long ago with a group of British Harvard students.

Aside from a personal invitation, the only socially acceptable way to see the Kennedy residences is from the water. You’ll hear Kennedy stories as well as facts about maritime history on the harbor tours that are offered throughout the summer.

“If you look off port, or left side, you can see Hyannis Marina,” the tour guide announces. “The marina can accommodate eight megayachts, those more than 100 feet long.” President Kennedy docked his boat, the Honey Fitz, there.

Cruising through the inner harbor, you’ll also see commercial scallop boats and private fishing vessels with names like Constant Supervision. At the mouth of the harbor is the Lewis Bay Light, one of 12 remaining lighthouses on the cape. The narrated cruise takes you into Nantucket Sound past the Hyannis Yacht Club and Kalmus Beach and culminates amid sailboats in Hyannis Harbor, 100 yards out from the Kennedy homes.

THE museum devoted to President Kennedy’s time in Hyannis, renovated in 2003 and again in 2005, now encompasses five rooms of black-and-white pictures of the Kennedy family, along with campaign memorabilia and a video narrated by Walter Cronkite. Viewing the photos of the famous family is like discovering a stash of forgotten family albums in Grandma’s attic. Three smiling young brothers — John, Robert and Edward — walk on the beach on Thanksgiving, 1948. A relaxed President Kennedy steers a golf cart piled with nieces, nephews and other children. A delightful pair of 1963 photos shows Caroline Kennedy and Maria Shriver, both 6 years old, on the Honey Fitz, taking turns making silly faces for the camera.

And then in the last room, there’s a stunning oil portrait of John F. Kennedy Jr. — a sudden reminder of his death in waters not far from here in 1999. “That stops everyone in their tracks,” Mrs. Wiseman said.

Others who have met untimely fates are honored at the Cape Cod Maritime Museum, adjacent to Aselton Park near the harbor. To 17th- and 18th-century seamen, Cape Cod, the largest sandbar in the United States, was known as the “graveyard of ships.” From 1626 to the present there have been 3,000 known shipwrecks off Cape Cod and a handful of them, including the demise of the Sparrow-Hawk in 1626, are documented on a wall of the museum that holds a macabre fascination for many children.

Much of the museum is dedicated to “surfmen,” the intrepid crews that rescued shipwreck survivors. A 24-by-6-foot restored 1937 surf boat used to row out to sinking ships sits in the center of the main room. Beginning in 1807, lifeboat houses, essentially beachside shacks, were built and equipped with boats, life rafts and small cannons that the volunteer surfmen would use to fire ropes to shipwreck survivors.

Children in danger of museum overload spring back to vibrancy with a harbor tour on the Cape Cod Duckmobile, a brightly colored amphibian craft that looks like a life-size, primary-colored bus with an awning. Self-conscious parents and sticky-faced kids waited anxiously to board from Main Street one Saturday. Out on the water a half-hour later, and feeling less inhibited, the riders quacked to the passengers aboard the other tour boats.

“All ages enjoy the tour,” said Ginny Baukus, a Duckmobile employee. “We get a lot of seniors and red-hat ladies aboard.”

And there are plenty of options for food. Along Main Street, sandwiched among establishments selling flip-flops, souvenirs and opportunities to play miniature golf, hungry families can find restaurants and stands selling Italian dinners, fish and chips, pizza and, of course, ice cream.

VISITOR INFORMATION

TO visit Hyannis, take the Sagamore Bridge, reachable from Massachusetts Route 3 or U.S. Route 6, over the Cape Cod Canal and onto the cape, and then follow Route 6 east to Exit 6.

The Cape Cod Potato Chips factory (100 Breed’s Hill Road 508-775-3358 www.capecodchips.com) is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays for free self-guided tours.

One-hour harbor cruises from Hy-Line Cruises (Ocean Street Dock 508-790-0696 www.hylinecruises.com) cost $14 for adults and $7 for children.

The John F. Kennedy Hyannis Museum (397 Main Street 508-790-3077 www.jfkhyannismuseum.org) is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $5.

The Cape Cod Maritime Museum (135 South Street 508-775-1723 www.capecodmaritimemuseum.org) is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday and from noon to 4 p.m. Sundays. Admission is $5 for adults and $4 for children.

Cape Cod Duckmobiles (437 Main Street 508-790-2111 duckmobile.com) offers tours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., for $16 for adults, $12 for students and $5 for children under 5.

For fish and chips and other fried seafood plates, try Baxter’s Fish & Chips (177 Pleasant Street, 508-775-4490). The Roadhouse Cafe (488 South Street, 508-775-2386) has sandwiches and salads starting at $8.95 and entrees starting at $18.95. At Katie’s Homemade Ice Cream (570 Main Street, 508-771-6889) you can get two scoops of ice cream for $3.

List of site sources >>>


Watch the video: AP SeaGate Bodrum Kısa Animasyon Filmi (January 2022).